In this location (until 1945), was the place of amusement "Platz'scher Garten". In 1942 it served as a collection point for three deportations of Jews from Würzburg and Lower Franconia.
1,593 people were deported from Würzburg on these three dates. From here, many of them had to walk with luggage to the train station Aumühle.
We remind you that here, people were taken out of their lives and sent to their deaths - during the light of day, with no resistance from the people.
The “Way of Remembrance” symbolizes this last journey.
Shortly after the National Socialists came to power in January 1933, the politics of exclusion, dispossession and expulsion of Jews from Germany rose – also in Lower Franconia. The initial goal was to press the Jews to leave the country.
The National Socialists succeeded, but not completely – not even when they worsened the actions taken against Jews even more in 1935. The reason is that a lot of Jews, especially older ones, were afraid of emigration or they didn't have a chance of finding another country due to their age, their occupation or their state of health.
On the night of November 9, 1938 (also called "Kristallnacht", the "night of the broken glass"), violence against Jews broke out across the Reich. It reinforced the repressions of Jews and lead to another wave of emigration. At the same time, it was a form of testing the public reaction to overt violence against Jews and marked the beginning of the second phase of persecution politics. The "final solution", the Nazis' plan to exploit and extinguish the Jewish people took place in the "backyard of the war" in the newly conquered territories in the east of the empire. The systematic deportations, also from Lower Franconia, to concentration camps started in autumn 1941.
The first transport was controlled in November 1941 at Stadthalle / Schrannenhalle (today Kardinal Faulhaber-Platz) in Würzburg. The second started in March 1942 at the "Fränkischer Hof" in the town of Kitzingen. From the third deportation in April 1942 onwards, the Gestapo (Secret State Police) used the place of amusement "Platz'scher Garten" at the former Hindenburgstraße in Würzburg. Men, women and children from all over Lower Franconia were gathered there for three transports. Until the last deportation in January 1944, 2,068 people were deported in eight transports on seven different dates.